The Access Initiative in Ukraine program is being implemented to study the development of democracy in decision-making affecting the environment. The main goal of the program is to make an unbiased assessment of the Ukraine’s implementation of its international commitments and, simultaneously, compliance with the national legislation on improvement of public access to information, participation in decision-making and access to justice in environmental matters by environmental empowerment of the public, national policy and legislation reforms, development of relevant governmental institutions. The Ukrainian team is seeking for the research outcomes to be helpful to:
• update the government on the state of the art in the access related field;
• improve public participation system;
• raise public awareness on access to reliable information and participation in decision-making;
• plan and implement remedial actions;
• develop participation strategies in the legislative decision-making process;
• encourage general public to get access to environmental information, participation and justice.